Well Played: Games Journalism (ft. Jason Schreier)

Alles, was nicht in ein anderes Forum gehört: Hier rein
Forumsregeln
Datenschutzerklärung: https://www.gamespodcast.de/datenschutzerklaerung/
Impressum: https://www.gamespodcast.de/impressum/

Forenregeln und zukünftige Weltverfassung
ART 1: Behandle andere Nutzer mit Respekt.
ART 2: Do NOT piss off the Podcasters

Lies bitte weitere Hinweise hier: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2789
Flo

Well Played: Games Journalism (ft. Jason Schreier)

Beitrag von Flo »

If I were to give an interview to a foreign magazine, it would be of enormous value to me if I received feedback from the listeners. Therefore, I humbly suggest to hold this Threat in English as an exception.

Since my English is not good enough to adequately formulate complex thoughts (well, my German is hardly good enough), I use a free translation tool, which seems to work quite well. ( https://www.deepl.com/translator )

- Now for the episode -

When I woke up and discovered the episode in my podcast feed, I listened in for once. Usually I have my morning routine before I consume any media, but I was too curious. And then I just couldn't stop and listened to the whole episode until the end. Now I can start my day.

I mean: great praise, super exciting interview! Thanks for that!
Timberfox13

Re: Well Played: Games Journalism (ft. Jason Schreier)

Beitrag von Timberfox13 »

Great interview, thanks to Andre and Jason Schreier

I follow Kotaku as one of my primary websites in gaming-related news and therefore am very happy to hear Jason getting interviewed by my favourite podcast-project.

As this was my first episode of "well played" i want to ask Andre:

You advertise this podcast by "warning" the people about your german accent, but:
Where the hell does this british accent come from (it surfaces from time to time)?
For example "New York Times" sounds like "New York Toimes".
I heard you speaking english before but i never noticed this (dark?)side of your pronunciation.
CETERUM CENSEO BLASPHEMOUS II ESSE LUDENDAM
Andre Peschke

Beitrag von Andre Peschke »

Timberfox13 hat geschrieben: 27. Mär 2020, 09:59 You advertise this podcast by "warning" the people about your german accent, but:
Where the hell does this british accent come from (it surfaces from time to time)?
For example "New York Times" sounds like "New York Toimes".
I heard you speaking english before but i never noticed this (dark?)side of your pronunciation.
I learned English from movies and going to international events. Going to ECTS in London for example was my first major trade-show in 2000. Most european PR-events outside Germany used to be in London as well. I also spent some time in Ireland in 1996 so I had some irish verbiage going on for a long while. TLDR: My pronounciation is all over the place. :D

Andre
Timberfox13

Beitrag von Timberfox13 »

Noice!

Thanks for clarification.
CETERUM CENSEO BLASPHEMOUS II ESSE LUDENDAM
Alienloeffel

Beitrag von Alienloeffel »

Tolle Folge. Habe mich sehr drauf gefreut und bin nicht enttäuscht worden.
Schon witzig Andre und Jason Schreier miteinander reden zu hören. Gerne mehr wenns geht :D
Nimlod

Beitrag von Nimlod »

I really liked it. Thumbs up!
Gigagokl

Beitrag von Gigagokl »

Andre warned us about the different technical setup between the two recordings. But you didnt mention, that between the two recordings you two obviously started to like each other. The whole tone of the interview changed dramatically. In the First Part i was set back a bit by jasons defensive answers especially at the beginning. I feared the interview would be a waste of Time and almost turned off, as I habe little Time at the Moment (Corona). But wow that took off in the second part!

Did you by any chance explain to jason, that you and Jochen found and implemented exactly the business Model, that jason described as Utopic Before? Games journalism owned by the journalists?

Excuse my Poor spelling, i typed that on my german phone. And it was a pain in the Ass.
Laflamme

Beitrag von Laflamme »

Gigagokl hat geschrieben: 27. Mär 2020, 22:58 Did you by any chance explain to jason, that you and Jochen found and implemented exactly the business Model, that jason described as Utopic Before? Games journalism owned by the journalists?
As I am sure you will learn later on, André mentioned in passing that this project is subscription based. He didn't mention the "no advertisements" stuff though.
Einer der OGs des Hörerbiers (André Peschke in "Zwei Jahre The Pod")
BigBB

Beitrag von BigBB »

Habe die Folge noch nicht gehört...ich hoffe mein Englisch reicht dann mal dafür aus. Denn die Folge interessiert mich doch wirklich.
Corvus

Beitrag von Corvus »

Great interview, i'm happy that you decided to release it as well played instead of waiting more weeks for responds from other countries.

It was a really great talk, i guess the second part was the better one, cause Jason opens more to the interview
Gigagokl hat geschrieben: 27. Mär 2020, 22:58 But you didnt mention, that between the two recordings you two obviously started to like each other. The whole tone of the interview changed dramatically. In the First Part i was set back a bit by jasons defensive answers especially at the beginning. I feared the interview would be a waste of Time and almost turned off, as I habe little Time at the Moment (Corona). But wow that took off in the second part!
Well andre mentioned already at the one of the "Weltherrschafts" casts that jason thought it would be a standard interview but after the first meeting he was so suprised that they made a second interview with more time. so guess in the second part jason was more interessted in the interview and andre, because he know it would be an interesting talk. ;)
Classical lurker ... not anymore :ugly:
Bild
ASV

Beitrag von ASV »

Great informative podcast! Was funny to see how Andre was often looking for kind of philosophic, far-spanning answers and often Jason just couldn't provide any. What (game) journalism in the end should look like I guess simply depends on the perspective. Be an informative gaming news outlet and/or a journalistic, less recognized and more expensive game journalism outlet. There is space for for the real journalistic part but it's also the outlet's job to transport its value and uniqueness (Jason nicely put that in the podcast) on to the customer. If that works people will pay for it. (As we do here)

Really looking forward to further journalism-talks (if we get them)!
Voigt

Beitrag von Voigt »

Nice interview, Jason Schreier sounded much younger than I expected, since I only had read stuff from him.

One critique I would have is: Andre often asked questions, which seemed to be trying to get the difference between Germany and USA, for example gaming culture, standing of the gaming journalists and changes of gaming culture over time.
Personally I know how the situation is in Germany, and I know what Andre would specifically want to know, but I think Jason Schreier couldn't quite grasp what exactly you wanted to know.

I know suggestive questions are bad form in asking questions, but still maybe next time, roughly explain what the situation in Germany is, and if there any differences to the asked nation, compared to your experiences in Germany Andre. Something the interviewed can work from.
tyr

Beitrag von tyr »

Well, this one has been the episode of The Pod I have been looking forward to the most, since it was announced. And it did fulfill all my expectations, the discussion was very intriguing!

Some meta-thoughts I had while listening:

Why don’t you release this episode for free, so that it serves as advertisement that perfectly shows that The Pod does NOT deliver the same dull, review-based, strictly regional (=German) based journalistic content on video games and the entire industry around them like many other media outlets do?
I mean yeah, the Sunday “Auf ein Bier” episodes are always free, but I always think it is rather hard to use them as an advertisement for your whole program.
(As they do not really generate an appetite for something I can buy, like someone in a supermarket handing you free samples of donuts and asking you to please consider buying cinnamon rolls.)

Obviously, doing this would fit best with releasing some more of your other recent content, but this is needed anyway in my opinion, as the “try-out” section for your ongoing series like e.g. “Wertschätzung” , “Wer macht den sowas”, or “Anekdoten” is rather over-aged and dusty.
In my opinion, this could be a good method to advertise, since from time to time you feature topics or people on theses series, which have the potential to get you new listeners, but only if these episode were freely available.

(Also I strongly believe that nearly every episode of Wolfgang Walk’s columns needs to be heard by far more people than just your paying subscribers!)

I understand why you might simply feel like this (or any other mentioned) episode is the product of your excellent work and therefore should be adequately valued and act by putting into place the paywall. I am fine with this, but I think you might reach a bigger audience and ultimately insert yourself into bigger discussions within the industry, like your guest, Jason, and other journalist are doing it. I think you continuously produce content of excellent quality and would deserve it.

On the other hand, I absolutely see why you are happy with the status quo, I mean just have a look at how nice and manageable the discussions are in this place, as opposed to nearly anywhere else 😉
Also what I just said could cost you some subscribers, so I might be entirely wrong with my perceptions...
I just wonder whether you will be able to maintain that status over the next years without evolving, which in my opinion would have to include finding ways to reach new audiences.

Maybe I will write some more about my thoughts at another time, somewhere else here on the forum, in German. But right now, I am fully used to deal with such things in English due to my studying/working environment.
crazydog54321

Beitrag von crazydog54321 »

Did anyone catch the name of the book that Jason suggested Andre to read? It was around 20:20. Even in slow speed I don’t get it :D The topic sounds very interesting so I am thankful for any hints
Andre Peschke

Beitrag von Andre Peschke »

crazydog54321 hat geschrieben: 5. Jun 2020, 19:40 Did anyone catch the name of the book that Jason suggested Andre to read? It was around 20:20. Even in slow speed I don’t get it :D The topic sounds very interesting so I am thankful for any hints
IIRC not a book but an article. This one, if memory serves: https://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the- ... 1646145844

Andre
crazydog54321

Beitrag von crazydog54321 »

Thanks Andre! Even better because it has a fair chance to be read and not to be the next book on the book pile of shame :) Anyway nice interview! I agree with the other people that the second part of the interview was way better to listen. Maybe Jason was just in a better mood and it seems his child was a positive factor too :D
Soulaire

Beitrag von Soulaire »

vielleicht ganz interessant:
gibt gerade einen kleinen Beef zwischen Jason Schreier und Neil Druckmann/Cory Barlog auf Twitter.
Bild

gerade bei Cory Barlogs Antwort kann man herauslesen dass das Crunch-Thema einige Spuren hinterlassen haben könnte....
Lurtz

Beitrag von Lurtz »

Das war der Ausgangspunkt des Ganzen: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/statu ... 0661287936
Children are dying.
That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.
lnhh

Beitrag von lnhh »

Das neue Buch ist von J Schreier erscheint am 11.5.21 : https://www.amazon.de/Press-Reset-Recov ... 527&sr=8-1
Fuck Tapatalk
schneeland

Beitrag von schneeland »

Bekam auch vorhin die Email. Ist gleich mal auf die Wunschliste gewandert.
"Hello, my friend! Pay a while, and listen!" (BlizzCon 2018)
"And now our RPG even has NPCs!" (Bethesda, E3 2019)
"..." (E3 2020, entfallen)
Antworten